Thursday, September 28, 2017

Enjoying the journey

I was trying to find some sentences to plug into my flashcard program so that I could have more content to review and to expose myself to. I don't mind repeatedly hearing/reading/speaking the same thing over again as these activities help to cement the language more into my brain.

So I remember that in 2015 I had emailed a Tagalog instructor about ways to improve my Tagalog skills. He offered some very helpful advice that included putting myself into an environment where I was surrounded by Tagalog. This is similar to what I'm doing now, except that my speaking has taken a backseat to hearing and comprehension.

I remember when I first read the email reply, which was all in Tagalog. When I first read it, the Tagalog was beyond my level. I remember having to look up 1-2 words per sentence. The email was brief so 1-2 words per sentence is significant.

Well I remembered that email and how I had struggled a little bit with some of the words. Those are good types of sentences to improve my Tagalog. So it is 2017 now and I pulled up the email from 2015. And I was a bit disappointed but also overjoyed at the same time.

I understood every single word in that email. Up until maybe a couple of months ago or so I wouldn't have known those words. But now I did. In the past couple of months something happened with my brain that enabled me to know the meaning of those words. So I was disappointed because I couldn't use any of the sentences as flashcards. But the best part is I did not need to!

So even though the journey thus far has felt like a struggle sometimes, the truth is that there is improvement. And much of the time, things don't come together. But then things do come together. And that is the result continuing on in the journey.

So this motivates me even more to enjoy and give attention to the daily process that makes up the journey. Because the results will be there so long as there is consistent work over time.


No comments:

Post a Comment